[svlug] Users and Groups

Marco Walther marco at sonic.net
Sat Nov 15 14:40:46 PST 2014

On 11/15/2014 10:46 AM, Scott DuBois wrote:
> I found this to be a little disconcerting:
>
> Logged in and system running
>
> Installed GNOME User and Group Manager:
>
> http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/05/install-users-groups-management-tool-ubuntu1404/
>
> Created new "test" user
>
> Drop to tty1 and log in as "test" user
>
> vim ~/.xinitrc
> exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde
>
> ~$ startx -- :1
> Full KDE work space under new user credentials
> Commands on tty1 no longer functional
>
> Switch to tty2
>
> Log in as "test" user
>
> ~$ kate -display :1
> Starts Kate (no big deal)

> Check default KDE User and Group Manager
> Settings --> System Settings --> User Manager
>
> _No Other Users Listed_?!
>
> But I'm logged in?
>
> With all this going on through tty how would the average desktop user
> ever _know_ if the new user doesn't show up in the User Manager list?
I guess, a new user would not use different ways to create & check
users:-( But yes, that KDE User management tool seems pretty useless:-(
Never bothered with it until just now when I read your email. You can
install the KUser tool which might be more what you're looking for. But
that does not seem to integrate into the Settings --> System Settings:-(

-- Marco