[svlug] X Sessions

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Fri Nov 14 14:09:41 PST 2014

On 11/14/2014 01:23 PM, Erik Steffl wrote:
>    your custom ~/.xinitrc should not interfere with anything else in the
> system, should only be used by startx.

>    check out e.g.
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/47359/what-is-xsession-for for a
> pretty good discussion of X startup scripts. Note that it links to a
> book that you can read online that would make you a master of X
> administration :) Ninja even if you really really read it like you mean
> it :)

You ROCK Erik!

Not _only_ are you getting a Christmas card this year *BUT* fruitcake
too! Works beautifully!

I created ~/.xinitrc

add --> exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde
reference: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/kde/config.html

[ctrl]+[alt]+[f1]

Log in as "myself"

~$ startx -- :1 &

"Automagically" jumps to vt8 and KDE "automagically" starts (no login)
_FULL_ functionality

Log out of vt8 session and all processes end
(check: vt7 still running)

tty1 reports: [1]+ Done		startx -- :1

Now if I decide I don't want an _entire_ KDE system running x2 I can
just comment out the line in ~/.xinitrc and use basic X. Very cool!

Big _thanks_ to everyone who helped me with this!
--
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG