[svlug] X Sessions

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Fri Nov 14 08:47:29 PST 2014

On 11/14/2014 12:41 AM, Erik Steffl wrote:

>   ok, what happens if you try this:
>
>   - start the X :1
>
>   - go to vt7 (your original X display)
>
>   - open a terminal window (xterm, gnome terminal, konsole, aterm etc.,
> any will do)
>
>   - in the terminal window run: xterm -display :1
>
>   - switch to vt8 (new X server)
>
>   do you see xterm window there? Plain terminal window where you can
> type and execute commands etc. The window would not have any title or
> borders so you cannot move or resize it (you are not running window
> manager, just plain X)

Ok, so I can execute commands in xterm which leads to being able to
launch other programs as well i.e. ~$ kate & (launches kate) as X window
and so on. So far so good, pretty much what I was looking for.

Had to open htop and filter for :1 to figure out how to kill the X
session though. Seems /bin/sh is sending it to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
which is launching it at /usr/bin/X :1 -auth /tmp/serverauth.iZvLv6ApVy.
Use ~$ ps aux | grep :1 | less and look for the /usr/bin line then
simply ~$ kill -15 [PID] works.

I was able to recreate your instructions just from tty1 without going
back to vt7 to launch xterm by using ctrl-c on tty1. Then ~$ xterm
-display :1 & gave me a prompt at vt8 and I can launch any program via X
from tty1 and use it on vt8 (not just xterm).

Now, how would I launch an entire KDE interface?
--
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG