[svlug] X Sessions

Erik Steffl erik at zasran.com
Fri Nov 14 00:41:50 PST 2014

On 11/13/2014 05:34 PM, Scott DuBois wrote:
> On 11/13/2014 04:56 PM, Erik Steffl wrote:

>>> Locked-up
>>
>>     define locked up:
>>
>>     - does it print anything
>>
>>     - does ctrl-c or ctrl-\ (backslash) work?
>>
>>     - can you switch to a different vt?
>>
>>     - can you still kill X (the :1 one)?
>>
>>     which driver are you using and does documentation say anything about
>> two instances of X server? If you don't know which driver you are using
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or similar, depends on distro) should tell you.
>
> Nouveau driver (Kubuntu 14.04)
>
> Screen blanks
> Switch to VT7 and have visual desktop running still
> Switch back to TTY1 and can see text now (X has been started)
> No commands operational except in VT7
> Switch to VT8 and blank screen
> ctrl-c works!
>
> Tried a second user, didn't help
>
> Google searching all says same thing, X :1 on TTY1 should work. Some say
> should work for providing X on VT8, X :2 should give X on VT9 and so on.
>
> When I do ctrl-c and get a prompt back on TTY1 I can switch to VT8 and
> have a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.

   ok, what happens if you try this:

   - start the X :1

   - go to vt7 (your original X display)

   - open a terminal window (xterm, gnome terminal, konsole, aterm etc.,
any will do)

   - in the terminal window run: xterm -display :1

   - switch to vt8 (new X server)

   do you see xterm window there? Plain terminal window where you can
type and execute commands etc. The window would not have any title or
borders so you cannot move or resize it (you are not running window
manager, just plain X)

	erik

	erik