[svlug] X Sessions

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Thu Nov 13 17:34:25 PST 2014

On 11/13/2014 04:56 PM, Erik Steffl wrote:
> On 11/13/2014 04:23 PM, Scott DuBois wrote:
>> On 11/13/2014 04:02 PM, Erik Steffl wrote:
>>>
>>>     this should work:
>>>
>>>     X :1
>>>

>> Locked-up
>
>    define locked up:
>
>    - does it print anything
>
>    - does ctrl-c or ctrl-\ (backslash) work?
>
>    - can you switch to a different vt?
>
>    - can you still kill X (the :1 one)?
>
>    which driver are you using and does documentation say anything about
> two instances of X server? If you don't know which driver you are using
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or similar, depends on distro) should tell you.

Nouveau driver (Kubuntu 14.04)

Screen blanks
Switch to VT7 and have visual desktop running still
Switch back to TTY1 and can see text now (X has been started)
No commands operational except in VT7
Switch to VT8 and blank screen
ctrl-c works!

Tried a second user, didn't help

Google searching all says same thing, X :1 on TTY1 should work. Some say
should work for providing X on VT8, X :2 should give X on VT9 and so on.

When I do ctrl-c and get a prompt back on TTY1 I can switch to VT8 and
have a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.

--
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG