[svlug] X Sessions

Marco Walther marco at sonic.net
Thu Nov 13 15:47:12 PST 2014

On 11/13/2014 03:01 PM, Scott DuBois wrote:
> So if I have a full DE running on tty7 (default start up) and I switch
> to tty1, log in, and execute: $ startx -- :1, I get nothing because
> there is already a session running under those credentials?
X11 (the very old stuff) could probably handle that. But I'm not so sure
about all the `desktop environments', they have so many other channels
to talk back & forth with the system. Not sure how they handle a second
instance (for the same user). You could try to create/use a second user
account and play with that for the beginning;-)

-- Marco