[svlug] HTTPD Config Settings

JC Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Nov 12 08:01:51 PST 2014

VHosts
Rewrite rules
SSL with specific cipher limits/configuration (eg play with client-side keys).
Reverse proxying an application server ala UWSGI or one of the Java setups.
XSendfile and similar outbound (rather than inbound) rewrite configuration.
	eg Setup a trivial app server to return references to S3 objects which are then served as 300-series redirects to signed URLs for those objects.
Optimise a webserver for each of the following cases:
	Serving small-ish dynamically generated content.
	High-frequency light-weight AJAX calls to an application server.
	Serving large-ish static files (eg multi-MB).
	Receiving large-ish files as uploads (eg multi-MB)
		Include the authenticated case where the file is streamed to disk before the application server is invoked (eg client_body_in_file_only & auth_request for NGINX)

As for AWS: get hip at setting up VPCs and autoscaling groups based on metrics you inject into CloudWatch (eg queue sizes in RabbitMQ).

— JCL