[svlug] HTTPD Config Settings

Jesse Monroy jesse650 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 23:59:15 PST 2014

Scott,
You should try the "Redirection 3xx", especially 301, 304, 307 & 308

On this note, 301 should be used when pages are removed, but often
website just take down the webpages and external links breaks.
Online magazines and newspapers are notorious for NOT redirecting
properly.

You should also do a custom 404, both static and dynamic.
Rarely done, but would be nice is a custom 500 "Internal Error."
You might also consider 414 "URI too long" & 415 "Unsupported media type."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes#3xx_Redirection

One other thing to try is URL rewriting, which is common for
PHP and other scripting engines/servers.

https://www.addedbytes.com/articles/for-beginners/url-rewriting-for-beginners/

Jesse