[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Thu Nov 6 20:00:24 PST 2014


On 11/06/2014 01:12 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Scottix wrote:
> 
>>> With SpinRite, all we have is vague marketing materials and Gibson's
>>> surrounding aerosol of handwavium.
>>
>> Slime Ball marketing person. [check]
> 
> At your leisure, you should study the differerence between on the one hand,
> saying that a firm has offered vague marketing materials in support of its
> product and that its founder leans towards hand-waving explantions, and, 
> on the other, calling said founder a slimeball marketing person.
> 
> If you claim you cannot tell the difference, I am prepared to believe you, 
> but kindly do not attribute that same cognitive deficiency to me, too.
> Thank you in advance.

It takes time to become accustomed to interacting in a mailing list. I
will often pause for long periods to think about the correct way of
phrasing the point I wish to make to reduce the potential of
misunderstanding or misinterpretation by the reader. The more a person
interacts, the more proficient they become (just like many other things).

My personal opinion is that Gibson doesn't really spend a lot of time,
energy, or money on marketing as the WOM sales are more than enough to
provide the income necessary for him to run his business and focus on
other projects that he provides for free. In my personal opinion, there
is no better way to sell a product than the one that "sells itself" and
requires no marketing effort whatsoever. While I have also never used
SpinRite, I'm intrigued with it and would buy it just to play with.
Gibson also provides all updates for free so one purchase never wears
out. Do I "really" need it? Probably not.

How each person is going to feel about various products is their own
personal opinion and, as always, everyone is entitled to have and speak
their opinion while each of us is also free to accept or deny that
opinion as we see fit. One could argue their opinion based on scientific
or circumstantial evidence to try and persuade the other party to accept
their opinion as "superior" however, that's simply "brow beating" the
other person to change their position. Ultimately the only winning
position is to agree that both parties do not agree.

> 
>> Anyway I am done, I think we killed it, communication is hard.

Not really, communication on a technical mailing list is good
intellectual and literary exercise. It causes the thinking process to
work in ways which many people do not use as often as they should. To be
able to read and understand information required someone to write that
information down in a manner which could be understood by others. The
first year or so I got beat up a _lot_ on mailing lists over at
openSUSE. I still get beat up on occasion although a lot less often.

> Also, 'hang out with Wozniak'?  Honestly?  As some sort of personal
> credential?
> 
> All of us Homebrew Computer Club members did, as it happens, but we don't
> claim that we're technology experts on that account.  (Speaking for myself,
> I doubt Woz remembers me, because I was just that gawky teenager.  OTOH, I 
> look about the same as I did in '75, modulo a moustache.  Woz, not so much.)

Yeah, but it's still weird to get used to and some people have
difficulty grasping the concept. Just because someone was a part of the
first founding members of a company that made it big doesn't mean they
did it alone. There were a _lot_ of people involved besides the handful
of names most people read about. My cousin has been at Apple over 25
years and worked with Jobs directly during some projects but you don't
hear his name on the news so I guess he doesn't matter or hold klout.

And I agree, just because I have relatives at Apple Corp. doesn't mean I
know JS about their products or even really care either.
-- 
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG
Freenode: Roguehorse




More information about the svlug mailing list