[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Scottix scottix at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 08:57:24 PST 2014

>> With SpinRite, all we have is vague marketing materials and Gibson's surrounding aerosol of handwavium.

Have you looked at the site and documentation
https://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm I mean it explains in major detail
and you could probably create your own version based on the
documentation presented https://www.grc.com/files/technote.pdf Plus a
podcast where every week he explains a little bit here and there.

Yes it is a black box to us and whether you trust it or not that is
your decision, but...

If you think this small dos program made from an independent
programmer that has grown up in computers, hung out with Woz, coined
the term spyware, talks about security on a weekly basis, etc... is a
major threat to your system. You should probably unplug your computer
now.

To call him dubious I think is a little unfair. Yes this program is in
the CopyRight side and that is his decision, but I would almost argue
everything he has explained about it is closer to an open style.

Do I own SpinRite? No.
Have I used it? No.
Will I try dd* first? Yes.
SpinRite last resort? Maybe.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Rick Moen <rick at svlug.org> wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> Eh, I read them with a "grain of salt" since I can neither deny nor
>> confirm the poster's _real_ experience with said process or product.
>
> There's a saying in science circles:  Data is not the plural of anecdote.
>
> Gathering testimonials is an extremely common and extremely unreliable and
> misleading way of attempting to learn about the world (but will garner you a
> fine collection of Bass-o-Matics).
>
>> However, I have some familiarity with those who would make claims
>> against any product that is not open source.
>
> The only thing that can be said with complete confidence about any product
> that is not open source is that (tautologically) it may not be lawfully
> forked without separate permission.
>
> Logically, proprietary code divides into two classes: codebases with public
> access to sourcecode ('viewable source') and codebases without.  (The
> much-beloved old graphics utiilty 'xv', long a Linux standby, was an example
> of the former.  Gibson's SpinRite is in the latter category, whose
> consequences include it being something of a black box.  In contrast to open
> source and viewable source, it can be inspected only from the outside.  (In
> that regard, it doesn't help that Gibson and GRC's technical descriptions
> tend to be more than a little vague.)
>
> Getting back to 'some familiarity with those who would make claims against
> any product that is not open source', don't forget that deciding particular
> speakers are merely biased and should be disregarded is yet another
> extremely common and extremely unreliable and misleading way of attempting
> to learn about the world (that might garner you a fine collection of
> anti-authority suspicions).
>

> Angling back to the point:  In comparing dd_rescue with SpinRite (for
> example), the user can have total control over the former, and you know
> exactly what it's doing.  With SpinRite, all we have is vague marketing
> materials and Gibson's surrounding aerosol of handwavium.

Follow Me: @Taijutsun
Scottix at Gmail.com