[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Wed Nov 5 11:41:34 PST 2014

On 11/05/2014 09:47 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
> Some of the comments are really odd.

Eh, I read them with a "grain of salt" since I can neither deny nor
confirm the poster's _real_ experience with said process or product.
However, I have some familiarity with those who would make claims
against any product that is not open source. I try to keep an open mind
about any tools that may work and provide the necessary results I
require typically starting with Linux specific built in tools then
expanding outward.

> (I've no recent experience with SpinRite, but complaining that
> a product is overrated when it does what it is says it does seems
> irrational.)

Neither do I however, I would not disregard it simply because of some
"faux pas" any person may have induced in their past nor because of
their chosen platform for development or daily use.

Considering the single product has been sustained over multiple decades
and it's sales continue to "keep the lights on" signifies a continued
market. Based on great marketing? I don't think so as SpinRite isn't
going to be found at any local thrift store or geek shop. In fact, I
don't think any money is spent on marketing the product at all. Is it
for everyone? Maybe not, but neither is MS Windows.

If it does what it claims to do then by all definition, the product
works. If that same cat can be skinned with Linux built-in's and achieve
the same results, even better. Not all SpinRite customers are Linux
users and thus may not have knowledge or access to the same tools.

--
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG