[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Wed Nov 5 09:47:58 PST 2014

On 11/05/14 08:31, Scott DuBois wrote:
> So, I decided to do a general Google of what others have to say against
> Gibson's product and came up with some interesting arguments.
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/51681/does-spinrite-do-what-it-claims-to-do

Some of the comments are really odd.

To paraphrase one comment: "I think SpinRite is highly overrated.  I ran it
on a disk with a catastrophic failure and it worked exactly as advertised.
SpinRite recovered all the files, but some were still corrupted, and
the disk could now be mounted.  Maybe I could have done the same with dd,
but I didn't try that, but maybe it would have worked, so SpinRite is overrated."

There's deep misunderstanding of dd represented in the comments.
Changing block size on dd does not affect how the disk is read.
Using a smaller block size doesn't make dd "try harder".

It is good idea to copy data from a dying disk, if possible,
and try to recover data from the copy.  But that is not going to
recover data from bad blocks, which is what SpinRite does.

(I've no recent experience with SpinRite, but complaining that
a product is overrated when it does what it is says it does seems
irrational.)

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077