[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Nov 4 21:50:22 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 04:42:18PM -0800, Scottix wrote:

> First is it tries to read every sector on the drive, through various
> methods and won't give up after a long time
> Second is a read and then write sectors back to disk.

Uh, that's stupid. Modern systems retry reads a crapload of times
before they give up. Given that the data is lost, the way to clear the
problem is to write *without* reading. But what do I know, I only have
8,000 drives?  Fortunately, my friends have a lot more, and they agree
with me.

RAID systems with redundancy write without reading once they realize
the data is lost. That tells the drive that it can give up on what is
lost, and stick in a reallocated sector. 20%, remember?

No snake oil needed.

-- greg