[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Tue Nov 4 07:47:10 PST 2014

On 11/03/2014 03:33 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Follow Michael and Greg's advice on this.  If the SMART data are clean and
> badblocks is clean, that really doesn't mean much other than that the
> firmware has successfully hidden from you any ongoing badness.  At that
> point, I'd just zero out the partition table ('dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd
> bs=512 count=1'), make a new partition table with whatever you use, and mkfs
> yourself a new partition.

Thank you, I've known for a while about the auto-error correcting of
drives but it was fun going through the testing processes anyway just to
see how they would turn out. The drive is working stellar and mounting
at boot now on ext4 rather than ntfs.

For those interested in listening to how Steve Gibson at GRC describes
drive technology and how his product SpinRite deals with it:

https://www.grc.com/sr/whatitdoes.htm

--
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG