[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Nov 3 16:56:44 PST 2014

On Mon, 3 Nov 2014 15:33:07 -0800
Rick Moen <rick at svlug.org> wrote:

> If running smartctl ever _does_ start showing uncorrectable errors,
> break all land-speed records making backups.

Hopefully, he's incrementally backing up every day. But yeah, get that
one last backup. I boot System Rescue CD and use ddrescue with log to
either a thumb drive or an ssh-mounted disk.

The smartctl measurements I pay attention to are Current_Pending_Sector
and Offline_Uncorrectable. If I find either one non-zero, I shut it
down, boot System Rescue CD, grab what I can, go to Tigerdirect's
bricks and morter store, and buy a new drive.

Three weeks ago my pfSense firewall shredded its disk, all sorts of
smart errors and IO errors. Now it has a nice, new 2.5" 7200 rpm WD
Black 512GB.

SteveT