[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Rick Moen rick at svlug.org
Sun Nov 2 11:19:31 PST 2014

Scott asked:

> I wonder if people who have _all_ SSD systems relieve themselves from
> such concerns?

Largely.  Many of those systems will still have fans, which generate some
vibration, but of course there are also the fanless ones.

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, I worked at a software firm that
published a 4GL (fourth-generation language) database and development
engine, that optionally back-ended to various separate SQL databases.  I
developed for them a set of standard equipment for use in the company booth
at trade shows, including a compact Sybase server, a compact Oracle server,
and several workstations.  After problems where the machines were reported
to be 'not working' upon being uncrated during show setup, the firm started
making a practice of flying me out to trade shows to 'set up' the booth
equipment, and then be in town in case repair were needed.  In practice,
'setting up' the equipment equated to no more than tightening cards in their
PCI sockets with a screwdriver, and then I had a week to explore Boston,
D.C., NYC, etc. with no other obligations.

I _did_ tell them that was all I was really doing (the problem of being too
honest), and they eventually believed me.