[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sun Nov 2 08:58:22 PST 2014

On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 08:03:29AM -0800, Scott DuBois wrote:
> On 11/02/2014 04:29 AM, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> > Hi Scott,
> > You do not have to physically touch a connector for the connection to fail.
> > The connection surfaces can corrode over time. This is caused by a compositional
> > difference of the two contacts, which creates an electrical difference at the
> > point of contact, that causes impurities to diffuse out of the contacts towards
> > the surface. In really cheap contacts, there can also be oxidation at the surface
> > as well. Re-seating contacts cleans the surface due to abrasive effect between
> > the two contact surfaces. This problem is quite common with cheap commodity
> > hardware.
> >
> > High quality electrical contacts are made of gold.
>
> Yeah, it's the same with any other electrical contact. Try digging
> around in an old, poorly insulated VW bug some day. You'll get a better
> understanding of why I don't bother with hair. =)
>
> However, couldn't we eliminate the connector as all is working and fine
> now since formatting to ext4? Wouldn't a bad connection disrupt _all_ I/O?

Of course it can be eliminated. I haven't been following this thread too closely.
Just offered a drive by comment. And yes, a bad connection will generally disrupt
all I/O. But I have seen instances were a bad connection was causing intermitent I/O
failures, where just rebooting the box would re-seat the pluggin card in the PCI slot.
And then it would run OK for days at a time before another failure. If such a problem
wasn't fixed, it would eventually fail continuously.

Anyway. Good to know you solved your problem.

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 Be aware: If you see an obstacle in your path,
Neuralscape Services           that obstacle is your path.        Zen proverb