[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Sun Nov 2 08:20:38 PST 2014

On 11/02/14 08:03, Scott DuBois wrote:
> On 11/02/2014 04:29 AM, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
>> Hi Scott,
>> You do not have to physically touch a connector for the connection to fail.
>> The connection surfaces can corrode over time. This is caused by a compositional
>> difference of the two contacts, which creates an electrical difference at the
>> point of contact, that causes impurities to diffuse out of the contacts towards
>> the surface. In really cheap contacts, there can also be oxidation at the surface
>> as well. Re-seating contacts cleans the surface due to abrasive effect between
>> the two contact surfaces. This problem is quite common with cheap commodity
>> hardware.
>>
>> High quality electrical contacts are made of gold.

> However, couldn't we eliminate the connector as all is working and fine
> now since formatting to ext4? Wouldn't a bad connection disrupt _all_ I/O?

The main characteristic of intermittent failure is that it is intermittent.
Disk drives jiggle as they are accessed.  A "works almost all the time"
connection might fail only when the drive moves and breaks the connection.

If you can get to the contacts, take a plain rubber eraser
and rub it gently on the contacts and blow/brush off any dust.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077