[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Sun Nov 2 08:03:29 PST 2014

On 11/02/2014 04:29 AM, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> Hi Scott,
> You do not have to physically touch a connector for the connection to fail.
> The connection surfaces can corrode over time. This is caused by a compositional
> difference of the two contacts, which creates an electrical difference at the
> point of contact, that causes impurities to diffuse out of the contacts towards
> the surface. In really cheap contacts, there can also be oxidation at the surface
> as well. Re-seating contacts cleans the surface due to abrasive effect between
> the two contact surfaces. This problem is quite common with cheap commodity
> hardware.
>
> High quality electrical contacts are made of gold.

Yeah, it's the same with any other electrical contact. Try digging
around in an old, poorly insulated VW bug some day. You'll get a better
understanding of why I don't bother with hair. =)

However, couldn't we eliminate the connector as all is working and fine
now since formatting to ext4? Wouldn't a bad connection disrupt _all_ I/O?

--
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG