[svlug] Files That Will Not Delete

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Sat Nov 1 20:35:44 PST 2014

On 11/01/2014 11:37 AM, Sarah Newman wrote:

> With USB hard drives (that's what this is right?) also install smartmontools and run ""smartctl
> -dsat -Tpermissive -a /dev/sd<x>"  There is usually a log of errors.  SMART tests can be run by
> adding "-t short" "-t long" or "-t conveyance" .
>
> If that all looks OK I would personally look in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages for the error
> message around the time of the original issue and research it. The log will probably indicate
> whether the issue was physical or related to the file system. Additionally, with physically disk
> errors, it is usually the disk itself but sometimes it's a cable. It could be something as simple as
> the cable was loose.

It is an external but it's running on eSATA instead of USB (not that
that makes much difference in this case).

I've installed smartmontools just now and will try running your tests
tomorrow and report back my findings. Thank you for this suggestion. I
love chasing these things down, I find it both fun and interesting
learning new ways of working with the system.

I "typically" never touch the drive or disconnect it as I am the only
one in my home with an eSATA connection and it's a desktop. However, I
did recently clean out the computer and install a new internal drive so
I will make sure to check the connection tomorrow as well.

--
Scott DuBois BSIT
President EBLUG