[svlug] getting "Connecting to printer..." in status when I try to print - is it a problem with my hub or cable to networked printer?

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Wed May 14 23:35:56 PDT 2014

Mark,

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and reply!

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Mark Weisler
<mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us> wrote:

> On May 14, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>
> > I'm getting "Connecting to printer..." in the status when I try to
> > print. I have a networked printer through a hub.
> >
> > Is it a problem with the hub or the the cable?
> >
> > Two laptops are connected with the hub and I have access to the
> > internet. There have been times when I've had trouble getting one or
> > other of the laptops connected but that is not a problem now. When I
> > had trouble with my laptops, I would unplug and plugin the cable to
> > the hub until I could get a connection.
>
> That's a good technique and has served me well sometimes.
> In general, try to simplify your computer arrangement and then add back into the mix the components you have and test thoroughly as you add each device.
> So, I would recommend starting by unplugging everything including the printer and the hub.
> Then connect the printer to the computer and try to print. Then add the hub to the mix, etc.

The printer is networked through the hub and serially through my
desktop. I just tried to print from my desktop and I got the same
error - printer not connected.

> Sometimes the computer will "forget" that a printer is attached and you have to unplug and plug-in again as you have found.
> There is probably some sort of "detect all USB devices" script that you might be able to find and rerun.

No USB on this printer - serial connection to desktop and cable to hub
- networked.

> You might also search the logs to see if you can find when the USB device is recognized and/or dismissed.

What would I look for since the printer is not a USB device?

> Good luck.

Thank you. I'm really in a pinch. I need to print for my consulting
job! Argh! It would make it simpler if I knew what was wrong or
broken!

> Mark Weisler

Thank you!

Darlene Wallach