[svlug] getting "Connecting to printer..." in status when I try to print - is it a problem with my hub or cable to networked printer?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed May 14 09:36:33 PDT 2014

On Wed, 14 May 2014 09:05:00 -0700
Darlene Wallach <freepalestin at dslextreme.com> wrote:

> I'm getting "Connecting to printer..." in the status when I try to
> print. I have a networked printer through a hub.
>
> Is it a problem with the hub or the the cable?
>
> Two laptops are connected with the hub and I have access to the
> internet. There have been times when I've had trouble getting one or
> other of the laptops connected but that is not a problem now. When I
> had trouble with my laptops, I would unplug and plugin the cable to
> the hub until I could get a connection.
>
> Does anyone have any advice?

My advice would be to follow a process in order to troubleshoot this,
because no earthly human can tell you, based on your error message and
topology, whether it's the hub (is it a switch, or an old style one
direction hub?) or the cable, or something else.

Start by plugging the printer directly into the computer. Either it
solves the problem or not, and either way it yields valuable
information. Whichever way it goes, devise diagnostic tests to further
divide the remaining root cause scope.

SteveT