[svlug] Really cheap linux laptop option

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Sun Sep 22 08:38:00 PDT 2013

Disclosure: I work for google, although AFAIK, we get nothing from this
sale. As far as I can tell it's Acer cleaning inventory to replace with
newer models.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-1-acer-116-chromebook

Now I'm guessing most will want to run Linux instead of ChromeOS, and you
can do this here:
http://liliputing.com/2012/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-12-04-on-the-199-acer-c7-chromebook.html

While this explains how to upgrade the RAM or replace the storage:
http://normcf.net/~john/chromebook/Acer/acerC7ChromebookUpgrade.html

$140 without upgrades, that's hard to beat though, almost getting into OLPC
territory :)

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/