[svlug] the frog in the pot (me)

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Thu Feb 21 19:12:11 PST 2013

On 02/21/13 18:53, Eric De Mund wrote:

> Thanks for this testimonial. What's that costing you, and what's your
> average speed, would you say? And what if the line coming into my apart-
> ment building, that DSL ran over, circa 2003, is crusty? (Do these lines
> degrade?) Is it my responsibility to provide a good inside physical line?
> "My" (my landlord's) responsibility as opposed to the ISP, I mean, of
> course. I'm in a 50-year-old building.

Everything up to the demarcation point at the property is the
responsibility of the telco.

 From the demarcation point to the equipment is the responsibility of
the property owner.

This is why telco's will do the initial install to an outlet, as they
want your service, but if there are any issues later that are on the
property side of the demarcation point, they charge for troubleshooting
and fixing.

If the issue is on the street side of the demarcation point or the
demarcation point itself, the telco carries the cost.

I have comcast business (to get static IPs) and I had some packet loss
when they upgraded me to DOCISS3.  They found massive loss in the cable
under the street.  They had a crew out the next day and pulled a brand
new cable to my house, no charge.

Now I want to move from he.net IPv6 tunnel to native and I have to bug
comcast to swap out my modem.  The modem they gave me is the one modem
on their DOCISS3 support list that doesn't support IPv6. :(

--
Mr. Flibble
King of the Potato People