[svlug] Hardware for a new server

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Feb 13 18:22:30 PST 2013

begin Mehma Sarja quotation of Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:44:30AM -0800:
> On 2/10/13 10:42 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting Yudhvir Singh Sidhu (mehmasarja at gmail.com):
> >
> >> An external power brick is a good thing. Any idea what power factor
> >> those thingies are? I have one which is almost too hot to touch.
> > Not a clue, sorry.
> > and off the top of my head I am unsure how one distinguishes good ones
> > from the ubiquitous poorly designed rubbish.
> >
> Heat is a good indicator. The difference in what is sucked out of the
> wall and what gets used by the device shows up as heat. Try a few for
> the same rated watts to keep the comparison apples-to-apples and feel
> the heat. A Kill-a-watt may also calculate it for you. I have one if you
> need to borrow.

Next time I build a home server, I'm tempted to get one of these...
  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1107117096/hydra-a-triple-output-power-supply-for-electronics

and a big-ass lead-acid battery, to run my server, AP,
and DSL box for longer than a conventional UPS would.

Rick, are you using a UPS?  Mine puts off a lot
of heat--it might be one of the costlier parts of
the home IT infrastructure once you get down to
single-digit watts for everything else.

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org