[svlug] Hardware for a new server

Mehma Sarja mehmasarja at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 11:44:30 PST 2013

On 2/10/13 10:42 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Yudhvir Singh Sidhu (mehmasarja at gmail.com):
>
>> An external power brick is a good thing. Any idea what power factor
>> those thingies are? I have one which is almost too hot to touch.
> Not a clue, sorry.
> and off the top of my head I am unsure how one distinguishes good ones
> from the ubiquitous poorly designed rubbish.

Heat is a good indicator. The difference in what is sucked out of the
wall and what gets used by the device shows up as heat. Try a few for
the same rated watts to keep the comparison apples-to-apples and feel
the heat. A Kill-a-watt may also calculate it for you. I have one if you
need to borrow.

--
Yudhvir
ਯੁਧਵੀਰ