[svlug] Hardware for a new server

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Feb 10 21:23:03 PST 2013

Quoting Eric De Mund (ead-svlug at ixian.com):

[A Vantec enclosure for 2.5"-format mass storage devices:]

> Also, the reviews there on Newegg for this item, well, they don't
> really inspire. In fact, they seem a little bit scary to me.

I see a lot of the usual whiny people complaining about the enclosure
being 'flimsy', etc.

A few years ago, I bought a very similar fanless Vantec enclosure, on
the recommendation of some friends, to put a 3.5" 2TB drive into, that I
use for backup and some archival storage.  It's been excellent.
Moreover, it doesn't do anything peculiar, e.g., no bullshit where it
makes up its mind to put the drive into a standby mode on its own
initiative, no odd and problematic interface circuity, and so on.  This
gives me relative confidence that it does exactly what is needed and
then minds its own business.

At first, when I started using the Vantec fanless enclosure for the
larger (3.5" drive), it was an open question whether a fanless enclosure
would create a heat buildup problem.  It does not, and the enclosure
itself is adequately engineered to conduct away and then radiate heat.

Which brings me to the aforementioned Vantec enclosure for 2.5" mass
storage devices.  You know how you determine whether a piece of
hardware's heat-disappation capabilities are adequate?  You turn it on,
wait, and observe.  If it turns out that there is a problem, you go buy
something else.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Cost of one of these enclosures is a mere $26, which is peanuts -- and
its larger brother holding a much more power-intensive (and more
heat-emitting) drive is already a known good part yielding excellent
service.

I'm glad you're happy with your Thermaltake fan-equipped enclosure for a
3.5" drive.  Its two 80mm fans are _generating_ heat, of course, in
addition to the heat from whatever drive you put into it -- and all of
that heat is fueled by AC power that you (or your landlord, whatever)
are paying for.

My own preferred strategy is to use high-reliabiity devices that don't
generate much heat in the first place.  My guess is that a no-bullshit,
no bizarre interface circuity, no excessive power-management-cleverness
fanless enclosure will then run more than cool enough.  If not, the
problem will be immediately obvious and I'll get something else.

I could be totally wrong-headed in my idea of what that $26 buys, but
rushing out instead and immediately getting hardware sporting a bunch of
fans when I'm specifically trying to get rid of them as part of the
strategy of cutting power draw and heat _generation_ strikes me as
exactly the wrong way to start.

But I do appreciate the recommendation.  It does look like good gear,
and I might end up with something like that.