[svlug] Hardware for a new server

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Fri Feb 8 21:48:09 PST 2013

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):
>
> > The cost of power saved using an ARM based solution compared to any
> > more traditional sane choice based on x86 doesn't seem to be worth the
> > hassle.
>
> Concur.  Raspberry Pi, SheevaPlug, et alii are cute and probably awesome
> to expermiment on, but something ARM-based suitable for a small
> general-purpose 24x7 Linux server is probably about five years out.

Personally I've been running my small home servers on arm for well over
five years already. :P However, I don't use things that need gobs of
memory, on small home servers. Or small remote virtualized servers, for
that matter. Avoiding memory hungry things is a good way to a) save money
and b) run better software.

My Thecus N2100 has been running for 7 years solid, with never a single
problem. I've never bothered to upgrade the memory past 128 mb, although
it takes regular dimms and IIRC could go to at least 1 gb. The two
internal SATA ports make for reliable storage (although slow due to some
speed features never finding their way from the vendor's firmware to the
mainline kernel). I'm actually astounded it's been running so long after
looking it up; that's certianly the longest time I've run *any*
spinning-rust server.

My sheevaplug has run as my internet gateway for 2+ years. Its only
stability problem is that it has a lot of USB devices.

Both of these are supported well by Debian.

--
see shy jo, who is very annoyed that /usr/bin/ld caused him to have to
            upgrade his development machine to 2 gb of ram recently