[svlug] max RAM for small server

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 8 19:10:28 PST 2013

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 18:12:43 -0500
Jim Auer <auerpauer at gmail.com> wrote:

> --- begin quote ---
> That sounds good. The main thing that I'd be concerned about with
> Rick's configuration intended to last a decade is the 8GB RAM limit.
> It would be nice to be able to install more memory as prices keep
> coming down and requirements keep going up.
> --- end quote ---
>
> In that timeframe, my guess is that hooking up several of these to
> make a personal cluster will be very easy. So, instead of worrying
> about future-proofing one machine, you could just buy its clone and
> tell them to function as one unit.
>
> -Jim

I know this is about servers, but on desktops I buy, I always buy "too
much" RAM. I'd rather sacrifice CPU and disk and the like to pay for
more RAM. My next box will have 32GB of ECC RAM and a quad core AMD. I'm
going to try to bring my Win98 machine, and a couple experimental Linux
and FreeBSD boxes in as virtual machines. Currently I'm favoring
VirtualBox because that way I can have my main desktop on the host
machine.

It's funny. When Win31 was replaced by Win95, and I needed to upgrade my
Gateway by adding 16MB, it cost me $675.

SteveT