[svlug] max RAM for small server

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 8 16:16:40 PST 2013

Quoting Jim Auer (auerpauer at gmail.com):

> In that timeframe, my guess is that hooking up several of these to make a
> personal cluster will be very easy. So, instead of worrying about
> future-proofing one machine, you could just buy its clone and tell them to
> function as one unit.

It's a respectable approach at some considerable cost in complexity.

Consider the granularity required if no individual host can have more
than 1 or 2GB of RAM:  You end up with a sizeable cluster, possibly with
a shared NAS, just to equality the abilities of a single unit based on
an AMD Geode or Intel Celeron.  So, there bgoes your budget, your power
consumption, and the compactness & simplicity you were aiming for.

I don't think that's a desirable tradeoff.  Others may well differ.