[svlug] Hardware for a new server

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 8 07:47:20 PST 2013

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):

> That sounds good.  The main thing that I'd be concerned about with
> Rick's configuration intended to last a decade is the 8GB RAM limit.
> It would be nice to be able to install more memory as prices keep
> coming down and requirements keep going up.

It would.  The same firm (CompuLab) offers a different but equally tiny,
cool, and fanless model called the Intense PC, whose engineering I also
like, using an Intel Celeron or I7 CPU, permitting use of up to _16GB_
of RAM in the form of two DDR3-1333 SODIMMs.  That doubling of RAM
capacity comes at the cost of a couple of more watts of power draw, but
the difference is on reflection smaller than I'd imagined, and I might
go with that instead.

(Not that it matters, but with only two RAM sockets and the benefit of
dual-channel addressing, one might as well max these things out
immediately.  Also, have you noticed how cheap 16GB of DDR3-1333 is
already?)

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc/intensepc/#techinfo

The thing's been popular so they're backlogged, but I could wait.