[svlug] Hardware for a new server

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Thu Feb 7 20:45:07 PST 2013

On 02/07/13 19:29, Don Marti wrote:
> That sounds good.  The main thing that I'd be
> concerned about with Rick's configuration intended
> to last a decade is the 8GB RAM limit.  It would be
> nice to be able to install more memory as prices keep
> coming down and requirements keep going up.

The only issue with getting something that can take
more RAM, is that you usually have to move up to the
large, more power hungry CPUs.

The Atom and AMDs equivalent are limited.

For the Atom, I usually see a limit of 2G and AMD I
usually see 8G.

If you go I5 and the like, you are then usually throwing
in a CPU fan, to get the larger memory capacity.

I say "usually" because there are cases with elaborate
heatpipes and massive heat sinks to get rid of the fans.

--
Mr. Flibble
King of the Potato People