[svlug] Hardware for a new server

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Feb 7 19:29:36 PST 2013

begin JC Lawrence quotation of Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 08:30:56PM -0800:
> On 6 Feb 2013, at 18:27, Rick Moen wrote:
>
> > So, let me back up and try something smaller in scope.  I'm hoping that
> > not _everyone_ is still either running on hardware from the turn of the
> > milennium or outsourced to somebody else's hosted hardware.  Right?
> > There must be a _few_ people running Linux around here, and not just on
> > laptops.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?
>
> Yeah.  I upgraded a few years back to a micro-ATX motherboard (SuperMicro IIRC) in a no-fan low power case with a couple 1TB WD drives.  The box is a bit larger than the one you mention, shoebox sized (this was a few years ago), but it sits in the living room, quiet as a, err, brick with a little red blinky light.

That sounds good.  The main thing that I'd be
concerned about with Rick's configuration intended
to last a decade is the 8GB RAM limit.  It would be
nice to be able to install more memory as prices keep
coming down and requirements keep going up.

--
Don Marti                      +1-510-332-1587 (mobile)
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/        Alameda, California, USA
dmarti at zgp.org