[svlug] Hardware for a new server

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 6 18:27:20 PST 2013

I wrote:

> I invited comments on the draft component selection.  So far:  crickets.

So, let me back up and try something smaller in scope.  I'm hoping that
not _everyone_ is still either running on hardware from the turn of the
milennium or outsourced to somebody else's hosted hardware.  Right?
There must be a _few_ people running Linux around here, and not just on
laptops.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

In that spirit:  Anyone running 2.5" drives externally on eSATA?  Any
problems or pitfalls?  Things going into standby mode or umounting when
you want them to keep spinning?  Enclosures for 2.5" drives to avoid and
why?

Bad idea?  (Should I stick to 3.5" drives for my RAID1 storage?)

Any tips about running a server on an SSD as main storage, other than
obvious things like not putting /var on it?  Particular SSDs you love or
loathe?  Kernel tweaks that keep power consumption low without risking
reliability in 24x7 operation?

You know, that sort of thing.  I've spent decades trying online to help
other people fix problems and avoid making blunders.  I was really
hoping someone might wish to return the favour.