[svlug] Hardware for a new server

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 6 16:49:11 PST 2013

Quoting Jesse Monroy (jesse650 at gmail.com):

> Rick,
> I'm confused. Your original email said nothing, nor did
> it hint that, the server in question was yours. There was
> a link at the bottom on linuxmafia.com

{scratches head}

Once again, with emphasis added in hopes of clarity:

  I'm looking at belatedly replacing the 2001-era VA Linux Systems model
  2230 2U-rackmount server THAT HOUSES MY INTERNET PRESENCE (shell for me
  and a bunch of other people, Web, ftp[1], SMTP, Mailman mailing lists,
  DNS, ntp, rsyncd, pxeboot/kickstart services, etc.).

I had _thought_ it clearly implied that 'my Internet presence' is on
my own machine serving my own domains from my own residence.  It sure
ain't in Poughkeepsie, for example.  It's been on my machine at my house
since the 1980s and pretty much nowhere else.

Anyway, sorry you misunderstood, but I hope and expect my brief note of
several hours ago cleared that up.