[svlug] Where do I start debugging core dumps?

Robert Freiberger rfreiberger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 14:09:45 PST 2012

Hello,

I'm researching steps how to debug core dumps but running into issues that
I'm not from a developer background. From my days in the Windows world, I
would find a host that is in a panic state, take the memory dump, use the
Microsoft tool Windbg and find which driver or application caused it. In
most cases it was decently accurate but of course you needed the proper
libraries to work. Also Microsoft somewhat locked down the Windbg tool so
you could only view 75% of the information, their in house tool was full
featured. But this gave me more details that what the logs could provide.

On the Linux side, I want to continue my searching when I find a host with
a core dump but lacking the knowledge. So far I know searching logs but
looking tutorials about core dumps, seems like without understanding gdb,
I'm missing critical information.

If I find the host crashed from /var/logs then a core dump was created from
dmesg, but how to I find the specific process that crashed so I can ove to
strace or other tools?

If there is a reference to a tutorial or book from the system administrator
point of view that would be great. :)

Thanks,
Robert

--