[svlug] Playing .wmv video files

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 3 11:03:20 PDT 2012

I wrote:

> Oh, and this Wikipedia page should help along with my previously-cited
> page that aimed to give the surrounding context that is missing when you
> just say 'ASF format' (which really doesn't mean much, although I know
> it's all you had immediately to go by):

Just to elaborate on that for a moment:

It's useful to know that file(1) says 'Microsoft ASF' for a file with
filename extension .wmv, _but_ all either of those data points tell you
for certain is the video container format, Advanced Systems Format
(ASF).  That container can house a variety of video and audio
compression/decompression (codec) types.  The data may or may not also
be deliberately obscured using Windows Media DRM.

If you poke at the file using, say, VLC or MPlayer, you can probably
get the tool to tell you what video and audio codecs it uses, and this
page aims to catalogue all the codecs FFmpeg understands (the ASF
container format being no problem):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg