[svlug] Playing .wmv video files

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Oct 3 08:40:37 PDT 2012

Quoting norm at dad.org (norm at dad.org):

> Can somebody suggest a video playing program that will play .wmv videos?
> The file program says of them, for example:
>
>   file 17.wmv
>   17.wmv: Microsoft ASF

Oh, and this Wikipedia page should help along with my previously-cited
page that aimed to give the surrounding context that is missing when you
just say 'ASF format' (which really doesn't mean much, although I know
it's all you had immediately to go by):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Video

On the basis of a short reading, your prospects depend on whether the
file is DRM-obscured or not.  If not, then you can use your choice of
front-end to FFmpeg, e.g., MPlayer.

And no, none of this is shipped in RHEL, or is ever likely to be, if
only on account of the patent roadblocks.