[svlug] rpm tips: full version including epoch, CVEs fixed via backport

Robert Freiberger rfreiberger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 22:23:57 PST 2012

We had auditors check each system that was deployed for production. They
sat with us at the desk, asking questions and checking off each step. Then
came the time to view the physical location of the box, making sure it's
cabled and correctly installed. This was the easy part until we started
deploying virtual machines.

Me "Here's the server, right in rack 12"

Auditor "Wait, that's the same box we checked last week"

Me "Yes, it's the same host but a different guest"

Auditor "I can see it's the same server, but where is the new server?"

Me "Right here in rack 12" (this went on for about 15 minutes before he
failed the audit on grounds unable to confirm hardware)

We had a meeting to explain how virtualization works and my manager
actually drew a box within a box (just like Professor Frink explaining 3D).
I think there was still some confusion. This was 2005~2006 so
virtualization wasn't as common back then as it is now.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Dan Mashal <dan.mashal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Every CVE is an "emergency". Every security issue "critical". Everything
> MUST be encrypted. 3 times.
>
> Biggest scam artists in the industry in the last few years.
>
> Dan
>

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Aaron Porter <atporter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>> > Some of you may have the good fortune of needing to satisfy auditors who
>> > do what they laughingly call 'penetration tests' of the servers, in
>> > which they check reported version strings of your network daemons and
>> > then require you to prove that you're not vulnerable (and typically hit
>> > you with a basically insane demand that you upgrade to something dumb --
>> > because they've never heard of backported patches).
>>
>> My favorite...
>>
>> Auditor: What RPMs are installed on the system?
>> Admin: Well, we run Debian so technically none but...
>> Auditor: Wow! that's easy. No RPMs installed <checks box>
>> Admin: But!
>> Auditor: Next question...

Robert Freiberger
510-936-1210