[svlug] My very own cloud file server?
bsmith at linuxtoys.org
Fri Nov 2 12:16:20 PST 2012
Megaupload disappeared and Dropbox can have a monthly fee.
Let's say you wanted to create your own "cloud" storage that
was visible on the Internet but that was located next to your
DSL router or cable modem. For discussion, let's say your
cloud server is _outside_ your home firewall.
1) Which standard Linux packages would you want to include
on your device?
2) What protocols would you use for public access?
- http, ftp, webdav, smtp, git ????
3) What would you do to lock-down the server?
- selinux, capabilities, non-executable stack ????
4) Access rights are read-only and read-write for the
"world", "friends", and "myself". How would you
implement this for the file server piece?
All suggestions and partial answers are welcome.
More information about the svlug