[svlug] light weight linux distros and personalization

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Jul 11 23:57:20 PDT 2012

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:02:42 -0700, Jim Auer said:

> Do any of you have first-hand experience with light-weight
> distributions that you would recommend?

Hi Jim,

Lightest thing I've ever used is Debian network install, core only, no
X, no servers, and then:

apt-get install xfce4 xfce4-goodies

I got that running in 128MB of RAM, and it performed pretty well in
256MB.

What I like about it is, because it's a Debian type packaging system, I
can get any piece of software I really, really need, while keeping
everything else to a minimum.

Thanks

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt