[svlug] light weight linux distros and personalization

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Jul 11 18:48:40 PDT 2012

Jim Auer writes:
> Do any of you have first-hand experience with light-weight
> distributions that you would recommend?

After trying out several of the super-lightweights I was most
impressed with Puppy. But I also found several machines where
it wouldn't run, and decided that for my own use I prefered a
more mainstream distro.

I've ended up using Debian stable (squeeze) as the lightweight
distro on my netbook. It's not as light as Puppy, certainly, but
it's a lot faster and more power efficient than Ubuntu, though it's
also fairly out of date (for instance, its kernel has no drivers for
the netbook's built-in SD card reader, which Ubuntu handles just fine).

I've also used Arch as a lightweight distro on laptops -- it's
at least as light Debian if you configure it right, but it's fairly
cutting edge with constant updates (which often break things), so it
doesn't sound right for the use you described.

	...Akkana