[svlug] light weight linux distros and personalization

Jesse Monroy jesse650 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 13:23:40 PDT 2012

On 7/11/12, Jim Auer <auerpauer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> I have a _very_ finicky netbook which no longer runs Ubuntu. It
> freezes after about 5 minutes when booting from USB stick. I'm not
> sure what is misbehaving, and have no idea how to track this down.

Jim,
It sounds like you have a bad USB connector. It could be as simple
as cleaning the contacts, or getting a USB hub. I had similar
problems. I solved it be replacing the direct plug-in of my
USB stick and got a Belkin push-down hub.

They are $30-40 at Fry's
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=158910

To be clear, the problem could be the USB stick or the connector
on the device. You could clean both, but the lock-up (freeze)
is from the kernel waiting for some device.  Many Linux
drivers suffer from this sort of short-coming.

Jesse