[svlug] light weight linux distros and personalization

Jim Auer auerpauer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 12:02:42 PDT 2012

Hi, All

I have a _very_ finicky netbook which no longer runs Ubuntu. It
freezes after about 5 minutes when booting from USB stick. I'm not
sure what is misbehaving, and have no idea how to track this down.

I am able to boot into both Puppy and Fatdog64 distributions. I have
installed Fatdog64 on the hard drive and began to personalize the UI.
That was when I realized this set of distributions (they are closely
related) would require a lot of time to learn the inner workings.
Before I sink my teeth into this I wanted to ask:

Do any of you have first-hand experience with light-weight
distributions that you would recommend?

And just to nip this question in the bud: this netbook serves as a
dumb terminal to my home server. It won't store any data that I care
about. So, if it fails in another three months, I'm fine with that. I
just want it to work until I come to terms with buying a replacement.

Many thanks,
Jim

P.S. I get these in digest format so PLEASE trim your messages before
clicking the SEND button.