[svlug] linux installation advice?

Joanne Sun joannehsun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 10:49:30 PDT 2012

Hello,

Finally this email list seems the right one. I wonder if I can ask you
a linux question. I don't follow the current state of art information
on linux now. So it is better to ask some expert if you are still
active in this field.

I need to get a laptop which runs a Unix or Linux command line prompt
to install Python, Hadoop, Cascading stuff.

Currently I have two laptops: a Win 7 Home and a Mac book pro (bought
in 2007 or 2008 probably). I don't want to wipe out the Windows laptop
to install Linux from scratch
since I use it currently. I don't use my Mac much. It seems to have
problems with the browser. Always freezing somehow. I don't mind
upgrade it.

I wonder what is the best option to install Linux and which flavor? I
think there are some virtual boxes stuff. Not sure if they are really
like a genuine linux box or any catches there. And I have no idea if
Mac can run a Linux box?

Thank you very much!