[svlug] Lightweight Portable Security (LPS) on USB stick for Linux?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Sep 30 15:08:53 PDT 2011

John Conover writes:
> I don't know if the Ubuntu "Install from CD to Pen Drive," (seems that
> I've seen that before, someplace,) will work, or not-I think maybe its
> Ubuntu specific.

Ubuntu has two "ISO to USB drive" installers. I haven't had any luck
with usb-creator-gtk (the one that gets called from the Gnome menus)
except where the ISO you're installing is exactly the same as the
Ubuntu you're currently running. The other one, unetbootin, is more
flexible: you have a decent chance of creating a bootable Ubuntu even
if it isn't the version you're currently running. I haven't used it
for an ISO that isn't Ubuntu at all, but it's certainly worth a try.

Some Linux ISOs can be copied directly onto a USB stick with dd and
they'll boot -- Fedora has done this for quite a while, and Ubuntu
finally will as of next month's release. No idea if LPS is like that.
It might be worth a try -- for the exact dd command, google on
installing Fedora or Ubuntu Oneiric to a USB stick.

	...Akkana