[svlug] Missing Web archive to be added: 1997 to 2000

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Fri Sep 23 10:06:20 PDT 2011

On 9/22/2011 3:37 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

> It's fun reading.  Sam Ockman posting from VA Research.  John V.
> 'Javilk' Vilkaitis.  Early Star Office and Netscape Navigator issues.
> Rafael Skodlar.  Ben Spade and Chris di Bona's election as president and
> vice-president (December 1997).  CABAL's first installfest (Jan. 17,
> 1998).  Netscape's announcement of going open source.  Almost all of the
> SQL database vendors, ditto.  The Sucks-Rules-O-Meter.  The Future of
> Linux panel discussion with ~1000 people in the audience.  Linus
> Torvalds giving a talk in front of ~500 SVLUG members (and my giving him
> a six-pack of Red Tail Ale).  The Mozilla Launch Party....

Geez, those bring back some memories.

> It's all there.  I currently have a demonstration copy up; the alert
> will find it easily.  In a few days, I'll regenerate the -real- mailing
> list archive (at its traditional location) to match the demonstration
> copy.
>
> The only downside:  Existing archived posts from 2000-04-25 to the
> present will be getting new URLs.  If you have URL pointers to specific
> posts, they're going to break.   Sorry.
>
> Near as I can tell, every post will get its number bumped by 23225.
> I.e., Jesse's post at
> http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2011-September/034083.html is
> going to become
> http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2011-September/057308.html after
> the merger.  But I might be misjudging, so I cannot guarantee that.

Any chance of having urls with two sets of indexes, where if you go to

http://lists.svlug.org/pre-merge-archives/svlug/2011-September/034083.html
it does the math and sends you to
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2011-September/057308.html

?

It would still break the URLs, but it would do it in a way that was easier to fix.

Larry Colen LRC at red4est.com (from dos4est)