[svlug] Missing Web archive to be added: 1997 to 2000

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 22 03:37:51 PDT 2011

Currently, if you look at the Web archive of this mailing list, you'd
think we only bothered to have one starting April 25, 2000.  That's a
pity, because this mailing list's history goes quite a bit further back:
2 1/2 years further, in fact -- to Sep. 24, 1997, when Chris di Bona of
Tandem Computer sent out the first test post to the newly-minted
'svlug at svlug.org' Majordomo mailing list that Rob Walker of Cisco
Systems had just created for Dan Kionka's Linux SIG (which Dan founded
in 1988 as the 'Unix SIG') of Silicon Valley Computer Society, which was
still meeting at the N. San Jose Carl's Jr. community room and didn't
dream that it would soon rename itself to match its new mailing list.

Those 2 1/2 crucial years of early history haven't been lost; they
merely haven't been merged into the GNU Mailman archive automatically
generated since Mailman took over from Majordomo in 2000.  Until now.

It's fun reading.  Sam Ockman posting from VA Research.  John V.
'Javilk' Vilkaitis.  Early Star Office and Netscape Navigator issues.
Rafael Skodlar.  Ben Spade and Chris di Bona's election as president and
vice-president (December 1997).  CABAL's first installfest (Jan. 17,
1998).  Netscape's announcement of going open source.  Almost all of the
SQL database vendors, ditto.  The Sucks-Rules-O-Meter.  The Future of
Linux panel discussion with ~1000 people in the audience.  Linus
Torvalds giving a talk in front of ~500 SVLUG members (and my giving him
a six-pack of Red Tail Ale).  The Mozilla Launch Party....

It's all there.  I currently have a demonstration copy up; the alert
will find it easily.  In a few days, I'll regenerate the -real- mailing
list archive (at its traditional location) to match the demonstration
copy.

The only downside:  Existing archived posts from 2000-04-25 to the
present will be getting new URLs.  If you have URL pointers to specific
posts, they're going to break.   Sorry.

Near as I can tell, every post will get its number bumped by 23225.
I.e., Jesse's post at
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2011-September/034083.html is
going to become
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/svlug/2011-September/057308.html after
the merger.  But I might be misjudging, so I cannot guarantee that.