[svlug] Silicon Valley Swift Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 19 11:43:08 PDT 2011

Quoting Jason Hsu (jhsu802701 at gmail.com):

> I'm looking for ideas on what kind of wallpaper to use.  The most
> obvious is pictures of silicon chips or wafers, but I'd like to hear
> your suggestions.  Are there any particular landmarks in Silicon
> Valley I should use?

The morning backup on Highway 237 is pretty monumental.  ;->
(Every time I pass it on my bicycle, I feel a bit smug. )

A lot of the landmarks are non-flashy, like David Packard's garage:
http://www.tonie.net/images/sanjose2001/siliconvalley/birthplace.php

Not to mention Steve Jobs's old garage:
http://www.paulgraham.com/garage.html

Possibles:  Hangar One, the Blue Cube at Onizuka, Winchester Mystery
House, California's first state capital building (100 block of S.
Market, San Jose),  Paul Masson Mountain Winery in Saratoga, the Palo
Alto Stock Farm (now part of the Stanford campus) where Eadweard
Muybridge invented motion pictures, the Pioneer Electronics Research
Laboratory in Palo Alto where Lee de Forest invented the first vacuum
tube amplifier and oscillator, the Peralta and Roberto-Sunol Adobes in
San Jose, Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum, Lick Observatory.

> (Admittedly, I don't think Silicon Valley has landmarks, or am I
> wrong?

One man's opinion:  http://www.priss.org/80/what/lost.htm

Hangar One may or may not get 'reskinned' after the toxic siding panels
are removed.  See:  http://www.savehangarone.org/