[svlug] Problem running home Linux host

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 15 20:55:05 PST 2011

Quoting Robert Freiberger (rfreiberger at gmail.com):

> I'm working on building out a small computer hosted from home and
> questioning how to provide a dns access to the host. I have a Asus RT-16N
> router and while there's a option for DDNS update client, it's not updating
> for me. I'm thinking of switching out to DD WRT, but want to hear
> everyone's suggestion before going that route. Should I just install
> ddclient on the host?

Disclaimers:  (1) I've never been obliged to work with Dynamic DNS.
(2) I've not run DD-WRT, only OpenWRT (on a Linksys WRT54G v.3, a
device with 4 MB flash and 16 MB RAM -- on which it does well).

DD-WRT seems to come set up to do DDNS out of the box, and the docs look

FWIW, enabling DDNS client functionality in OpenWRT looks pretty simple,
too, going by this page:  http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/ddns.client
However, it should be said that DD-WRT's setup for that function looks
to be just a bit simpler.  No need to install ancillary packages.

(Or ability, if memory serves.  DD-WRT is more than a bit of a sealed
box, and somewhat proprietary.)

General (unsolicited, opinionated) advice about picking gateway router /
WAP appliance hardware for embedded Linux:  Heed the supported-devices
pages of your chosen distro (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, etc.).  Beware of
low-spec units having too little RAM or flash storage.  The one I
describe above is a decent baseline:  Don't go lower.  You're better off
shopping on the used market, so as to avoid the problem of a shiny-new
chipset from some uncooperative vendor {**cough** Marvell, Broadcom
**cough**} that doesn't yet have good distro-kernel support.

As to the DDclient option (different strategy entirely), this page seems
like a decent guide: