[svlug] Problem running home Linux host

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 15 20:55:05 PST 2011

Quoting Robert Freiberger (rfreiberger at gmail.com):

> I'm working on building out a small computer hosted from home and
> questioning how to provide a dns access to the host. I have a Asus RT-16N
> router and while there's a option for DDNS update client, it's not updating
> for me. I'm thinking of switching out to DD WRT, but want to hear
> everyone's suggestion before going that route. Should I just install
> ddclient on the host?

Disclaimers:  (1) I've never been obliged to work with Dynamic DNS.
(2) I've not run DD-WRT, only OpenWRT (on a Linksys WRT54G v.3, a
device with 4 MB flash and 16 MB RAM -- on which it does well).

DD-WRT seems to come set up to do DDNS out of the box, and the docs look
excellent:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DDNS_-_How_to_setup_Custom_DDNS_settings_using_embedded_inadyn_-_HOWTO

FWIW, enabling DDNS client functionality in OpenWRT looks pretty simple,
too, going by this page:  http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/ddns.client
However, it should be said that DD-WRT's setup for that function looks
to be just a bit simpler.  No need to install ancillary packages.

(Or ability, if memory serves.  DD-WRT is more than a bit of a sealed
box, and somewhat proprietary.)

General (unsolicited, opinionated) advice about picking gateway router /
WAP appliance hardware for embedded Linux:  Heed the supported-devices
pages of your chosen distro (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, etc.).  Beware of
low-spec units having too little RAM or flash storage.  The one I
describe above is a decent baseline:  Don't go lower.  You're better off
shopping on the used market, so as to avoid the problem of a shiny-new
chipset from some uncooperative vendor {**cough** Marvell, Broadcom
**cough**} that doesn't yet have good distro-kernel support.

As to the DDclient option (different strategy entirely), this page seems
like a decent guide:
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch19_:_Dynamic_DNS#DDNS_Client_Software_-_Linux_DDclient